Formerly French, Elisabethville, or Dutch, Elisabeth tad is the second largest city in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (formerly Zaire), second only to the nation's capital Kinshasa, and the hub of the southeastern part of the country. The copper-mining city serves as the capital of the relatively prosperous Haut-Katanga Province, lying near the Zambian border. Lubumbashi’s population estimates vary widely but average around 1.2 million with a pet name as L’shi.
The Belgians founded the city of Elisabethville in 1910. The city prospered with the development of a regional copper mining industry.
The Belgians established the University of Elisabethville in 1954-1955 (now, the University of Lubumbashi).
Mobutu Sese Seko, ultimately resumed power and renamed Elisabethville to Lubumbashi, and in 1972 renamed Katanga Shaba.
When Laurent-Désiré Kabila decided to appoint a transitional parliament, in 1999, a decision was made to establish the parliament in Lubumbashi, in order to consolidate the fragile unity of the country.
The parliament was executed from the building of the National Assembly of secessionist, Katanga, which had its capital in this city as well, in the 1960s. Lubumbashi was therefore the Legislative capital of the Democratic Republic of the Congo from 1999 to 2003, whereas all the country's central institutions were brought back to Kinshasa.